Thursday, June 20, 2013

What A Day

June 20, 2013--This was a big day for our little guy. 

First off, he turned five. FIVE. 5. That's just the age where you no longer sound like a "little" kid anymore. I think he's officially a "big" kid. Is he? Because, crap...I'm not ready for that. Can I just pretend he's 3 forever? Not that I'm particularly fond of that age or anything--I am just not ready for him to grow up. 

Dude, he's 5. I can't take it.

So we didn't really have a big party for him this year. His bday fell during the last week of school for both him and his siblings, so it's a crazy busy week. We also decided to pull out the big guns and get the kid his own iPad mini for his birthday--a splurge that took the place of a big party. I let him have the choice between big party or iPad. He chose the iPad. Smart kid. We did have a tiny gathering with my parents and two family friends at a local pizza place the night before his birthday. Simple, simple, simple. The day of his birthday was also his last day of preschool. No cupcakes are allowed in the class (bummer), so I brought them right AFTER class. Smart mom. Curtis loved sharing cupcakes with all of his friends from preschool. I was happy that the parents let their kids stick around to grab one after school. We even passed out bubbles to the kids as a little "happy summer" gift. Curtis and a few of his friends (and big bro and big sis and grandma were all there, too) stayed for almost an hour to play on the playground after eating cupcakes. Curtis had a lot of fun and that's all that matters. 


With big sis at his tiny pizza party

All smiles while friends and family sing "happy birthday"


Preschool cupcakes--Curtis loves Curious George so I made these cupcake toppers

Like I said, today was his last day of preschool. I'm not quite sure he realizes this. He absolutely loves school and a few weeks ago I was trying to explain to him that he was going to be on summer break, which meant no school for 2 months. He started to cry. His older brother tried to tell him that summer break was fun and that no school was a good thing, but Curtis only got mad. Yeah, he really likes school that much. It was a bittersweet day walking away from the school today. I'm so proud of Curtis and all he's done--what a great year he's had! But it's definitely a bummer to go. I feel his pain! I'm excited for next year, though. He'll have most of the same kids in his class, and at least one of the same teachers. I know he's going to love it and I know he's going to learn more, make more new friends, and continue to improve on everything. Exciting things! Fun things!

I have to show you this. His preschool does the cutest thing--at the beginning of the year you give them an empty scrapbook. Throughout the year they fill it with photos and "artwork" and then return it to you on the last day of school. Since Curtis will be going to the same school next year, his teacher told me I can add pages to it and give them the same scrapbook next year. BAM! Preschool scrapbook--done. How cool is that?? Love it. 


 Pages from Curtis' preschool scrapbook

So we did have one bummer today and that was saying goodbye to Curtis' occupational therapist, who is moving to another state this summer. "Miss Joann" (she's actually a married mom of two, but we call her "miss" anyway) has been his OT at school for 2 years now and we just love her. Not only is she a great OT, but she is just one of those people that is always smiling. Always. She is also patient, and sweet, and loving, and everything that you would want in a therapist for your child. Not long after he started preschool, Curtis fell. He was just on the playground, walking across the blacktop area and somehow he tripped. He didn't get his hands down in time and his face hit the ground full force. He split his lip, hit his nose, and hit his forehead. It was Miss Joann that called me to let me know he was hurt and it was she who stayed with Curtis in the nurse's office and comforted him until I arrived. He was in pain, but he was also scared--he had a bad bloody nose and there was A LOT of blood all over the playground and all over him. When I got there, she was sitting with him, hugging him, showing him photos on her iPhone. She took care of him. She's really great and we are going to miss her terribly. Of course we wish her and her family the best. 

Curtis and Miss Joann

Between my baby turning 5, finishing up his last day of preschool, and having to say adios to one of the best therapists ever, I've been a big ball of emotions today. And I'm exhausted. And so ready for summer! I hope to get some fun summer activities planned and a maybe a few goals put in place for Curtis so he won't be so upset that he's out of school :)

No comments:

Post a Comment