Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Boy Who Grew Gills

I haven't really even been blogging long enough to include a link to the post about the swimming lesson mishap. You can just scroll down a bit to read about how they were, well, sort of a disaster for a while there. But, in case you don't want to scroll--here is the post.

Luckily, the swim instructors know what they are doing. Curtis' instructor has been in the water teaching kids for a long time, so when I approached her after his second lesson of full blown crying and asked her what I should do, I knew I would take her advice--whatever it was. What was the advice? To disappear. And that is what I did. The pool we go to has an area, right next to the pool (so I can still see everything and take a million photos and video) that is blocked off with some fencing. So, on that first day after she gave me my instructions, I just plopped Curtis in the pool, told him to have fun, and walked away. And guess what? He did fine. He did great, in fact. He had his best swimming lesson ever. And every lesson since then has been just as good, if not better. Now he doesn't want to get OUT of the pool! He actually cried yesterday because we had to LEAVE! He wanted ONE MORE TURN! Come on, kid, make up your mind! haha! Clearly, I'd rather have him crying because he loves it so much rather than screaming and shedding tears due to fear and the fact that he hates the water and wants to be out of the pool. So I'm OK with a little fussing over not wanting to get out of the pool. But only a little fussing. ;)

So, here it is--May 23, 2013--and I'm going to post a few videos of Curtis swimming. I can't believe it happened so fast. Mind you, we are still in the very early stages of swimming lessons! But I am honestly blown away by how quickly he picked this up. He is kicking his legs and moving his arms. The boy is on a mission! We are all so excited--big bro and big sis ask to see videos after every lesson (yes, they know I'm standing there, hiding, taking videos and photos--ha!)

Want to know what else is kinda cool? His OT told me the other day that his left hand seems like it's opening more and is more relaxed. She asked what we were doing differently and when I mentioned swimming her eyes lit up and she said, "I bet that's it! The swimming makes their body feel so different and he's moving that arm and hand around in the water so much!" How crazy is that? It could be totally unrelated--who knows--but both his OT and PT agree that swimming is great therapy for him. 

Here are a few videos for you of our little fish:
Make sure you put these videos on full screen mode since they were shot with my phone and from behind the secret fence so the quality isn't great. (Full screen mode is the little open box in the lower right-hand corner of the screen, just click on it and it will open the you tube thing up to full screen)--another tip is to click on the gear in the lower right corner and change the quality from "auto" to "480". This will make the picture MUCH clearer!

#1: Longer of the two videos, he's the one off to the right near the white thing on the side of the pool. He is swimming toward his instructor in the black baseball cap (and he disappears behind the blue milk crate for a second)




#2: Short video--again, make it full screen. You see him swimming to his instructor in the black cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment