Wednesday, May 7, 2014

New Gear

I have a lot on my mind, folks, and we are already heading into the second week of May! But I want to first share Curtis' new leg brace since I have discussed it in previous posts but have never shown it. 

I'll start by explaining what it is. It's called an AFO, which stands for ankle-foot orthosis. The main job of Curtis' AFO is to prevent foot drop, which was causing him to trip and fall on his face (especially when he was tired). Curtis only wears the AFO on his left leg/foot.

The process of getting his leg casted was easy-peasy. I only took a few photos because it went by so fast! They wrapped his leg up in a cast using fiberglass tape (just like you would if you broke a bone), set his foot in the position they wanted, let it set for a few minutes, and cut it off. Done! He sat watching the orthotist's iPad the whole time and wasn't bothered at all.

Wrapping the leg with fiberglass tape

Cool as a cucumber

Cutting the cast off


A few weeks later it was ready. It was a lot bigger than I expected and the whole process of getting it on is a struggle, I won't lie. But so far it's doing its job and Curtis isn't complaining about it too much so I call it a success. 



The kids at school asked about it the first day he wore it and he just said, "It's my brace." (Like...duh!) They didn't ask any other questions. Kids are awesome like that.  


No comments:

Post a Comment